Re: more on manure

Something to do with the effects of castration?

On Mar 15, 2005, at 6:46 PM, Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center wrote:

Josh,
I just looked in "Soul of Soil" and they give these percentages:

Kind of Manure - N - P - K - Organic Matter - Moisture

Rabbit - 2.4 - 1.4 - .6 - 33 -  43
Chicken - 1.1 - .8 - .5 - 25 to 45 - 55 to 57
Sheep - .7 - .3 - .9 - 32 to 34 - 66
Horse - .7 - .3 - .6 -  22 to 26 - 74 to 77
Steer - .6 - .3 - .4 - 17 - 83
Cattle - .6 - .02 - .5 - 17 - 83
Duck - .6 - 1.4 - .5 -  25 to 45 - 55 to 75
Pig -  .5 - .3 - .5 - 14 - 86

I wonder why the big difference in phosphorus between steer and cattle?
Kitty

----- Original Message -----
From: "Josh Haskell" <haskell@ncweb.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 9:34 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] I have undertaken the greatest challenge

Libby,

        About five years ago, maybe six, OG did an article comparing
various
animal manures. As I recall chicken rated highest in Nitrogen, and horse
scored better than cow, despite what all the old time farmers say. Would
you happen to have the article in your collection? Or does anyone else on
the list happen to have it? Kitty?? I'd love to get a copy.

Josh Haskell
Ohio -- Zone 5