Re: Storm

There are three "shrubs " that are often grown as trees here. One is Ligustrum japonica [in Texas L. texanum], which is a privet. Makes an interesting small, multi-stem tree, to about 20 feet with a 20 foot spread.

On Mar 18, 2005, at 12:41 AM, A A HODGES wrote:

They're fine. Still settling in. I think they might feel somewhere in their
doggie minds that they will be abandoned again, which is the reason for all
of the angst and destruction. We'll work through it. They are sweet sweet
boys, who just need a lot of love.

Sure I will take a picture of the privets for you. Kitty, my friend Liz is
the one that started this. She needed more space in her yard and so she
started whacking at the bottom limbs of her privet. They are super easy to
do, except they do get a lot of suckers if you don't get the branch off all
the way. I took the pruning saw and loppers to mine a month or so ago. They
look like Dr. Suess trees at the moment, but in a few months they should be
gorgeous. I'll try and remember to post a pic!

[Original Message]
From: Donna <gossiper@sbcglobal.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Date: 3/17/2005 8:42:29 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Storm

How are the new dogs doing Andrea? Everyone settled in yet?

Interesting idea with the privets.... if you think about it mid season,
a picture for us all to see :)

Yes, we had that last night and it rained all day here. We need it
so I'm not complaining. The only bad part was I had to leave my new dogs
inside, as it was REALLY cold and rainy. One is getting over surgery and
has separation anxiety and the other is just a spaz. I lost a couple of
chair cushions and the tip off a plumeria. A few other things were
but no major destruction. Thank God for doggie drugs! They do work

Things are starting to come up here and my variegated privets are
out new leaves. I've limbed them up and am turning them into small trees
shade my azaleas and camellias. This year they should really be small
trees. They grew in 2 years from 1 gallon plants into 7 foot giants.
year I'd say they'll reach 12 or 13 feet and make a nice patch of shade.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10