Re: Garden Vision/ J. dibia

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Garden Vision/ J. dibia
  • From: "Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center" 4042N15@nationalhearing.com
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:36:13 -0600

Yes, I understand about their designs, and Ricky doesn't intrude much, just
occasionally, especially because of these losses.  I think though, that my
chaffing with the Woodland and the Everlastings &Cutting gardens has more to
do with the fact that their designs don't match the theme, IMO.  A cutting
garden that for the most part grows bedding plants?  That eschews
everlastings?  A woodland garden that dislikes ephemerals?

Another thing I have trouble with is the cutting garden spending $50-60 on
low growing border dahlias.  Not so much because they are too short to use
in arrangements (I've gotten used to that even if I don't like it), but
because they refuse to dig them in the fall.  what a waste.  Also, when they
change their minds from year to year, they don't attempt to salvage the
discarded plants for us to sell.  We spent about $40 for a lovely climbing
rose and a species Clematis for their arch last year, and now they want
something else for it.  Last year's rose and clem seem to have disappeared.

Going back to Andrea's comment, I do get to give input, though it has to be
done gently.  I coaxed one group into a nice white soapwort instead of the
Snow in Summer they wanted that 2 other gardens had.  And Ricky sometimes
likes my ideas for grounds plants or tells me what he wants generally and
then I get to select cultivars.  And I also have slightly more control over
what we grow in the nursery than the rest of the group.