Re: Mathematics, OT

Have to admit I didn't pay much attention to them until this year. They've been fruiting for about 3 years, but since it's a tree that blooms in winter, some years [like last year] they have small crops because the pollinators are chilled out. And some years, like this one, they produce heavy crops because the weather was very mild at the time of bloom and lots of wasps and bees and flies were out and about.

About the seed--I don't know if it's viable. I'm going to plant some and see. I suspect, that they will not come true from seed--I think this one tree is a chance hybrid; all other loquats that I've seen have four seeds, although I understand that hybridizers in Japan have developed a seedless variety. I also understand that Japan is very reluctant [as in "no way, Jose"] to export scion wood of that variety.

The first thing I need to do is learn to graft well enough to produce a few of these trees, then talk some local subtropical fruit enthusiasts into planting them. I also need to find out about getting a patent on it.