Re: Changes to Nursery Stock regs. was: Garden Vision

<4042N15@nationalhearing.com>
> I wonder, Marge, if the subject were worked down into simple terms,
a letter
> to the Editor might draw wider interest?
> Kitty
----------

That's a thought, Kitty...if they'd publish it; some might but it's
sorta hit or miss, I'd think, depending on what they have for any one
issue already.  Got an email from Carole Ottesen, who now works for
AHS mag, that said David had seen my post and forwarded it to her and
she was going to do a short piece on it, could she quote me, etc.  I
said of course and gave her some links and email addys of those who
might be able to provide her with more info. than I can....problem
is, of course, that the deadline will probably have passed by the
time that hits the stands, tho' guess that if enough people wrote in
about this, they would have to take note even if the comment deadline
is gone.

I learned one interesting thing from Joyce Fingerut, who met with
APHIS folks last Monday...you don't have a discussion with them; you
just make a presentation.  They may ask questions, but can't comment,
give an opinion or tell you whether what you've said makes a
difference...this to avoid any seeming prejudice in any direction.
I can understand this on the one hand, but on the other it seems such
a round about and rather stifling way to deal with anything.

She also pointed out that comments that just say 'don't do it' are
not productive because they need reasons and alternatives to
consider.  The must do something...it's the 'what' that's the issue.
I just wish I knew more about the nuts and bolts of the nursery
industry than I do so I could think about viable alternatives to
offer.

My end is a time problem in trying to work something as complex as
this issue down to simple terms and still be correct...about losin'
it here with deadlines and assorted domestic disasters that seem to
be hitting with much too great regularity.  You want to take a stab
at doing that?  Even just telling editors where to go to read up on
the issue might help; just have not had the time to try to do
anything more about it since I blanketed the lists I'm on and put up
that article.

What I'd like to do besides email all the nursery folk I have
actually corresponded with or know of is notify all the hort.
societies so they can notify their members and botanical gardens who,
judging from the comment on the docket site from Huntington, are not
aware of the issue so they can comment.  Both tasks mean several
hours of compiling contact email addys that I just have not had the
time for....let alone composing the email to send.  I have hundreds
of bookmarks for web sites; means going to each one and extracting
the contact info....

Anybody with some spare time (what's that?) who might be interested
in doing a bit of emailing to spread the word???

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs