Re: personal plant list

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] personal plant list
  • From: "Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center" 4042N15@nationalhearing.com
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:29:12 -0600

I mix a blend, depending on what I have on hand.  Twice in the past 5 or 6
years I have had soil delevered and dumped on my front TP bed which I've
then carted to the back for raised beds, so I've used some of that soil mix
(a loam of sorts) as a component of my potting mix.  When I didn't have any
of that, I've bought cheap bagged top soil and blended it with bagged
product sometimes labeled "Nursery Blend" which is usually made up of
composted forestry products.  I add perlite, vermiculite, sand, Canadian
peat, whatever I have.  This year I went to Home Depot to pick up a 4cf bale
of compressed Gro-Mix, but they didn't have it this time, so I just bought a
couple of bales of Canadian Peat.  Some years I buy or split with a friend a
50 # bag of Osmocote or Nutricote, always with minors.  If I don't have any
of that, I at least incorporate alfalfa meal or some other bulk natural
products I keep on hand.

Yes, these are expenses which reduce my profit.  But this is my hobby and I
really enjoy potting.  Besides, it's sort of a pride thing.  I want these
plants to survive, so they need to be potted properly.  And every pot has a
businesscard-sized tag attached with bot and common names, zones, height,
cultivation requirements and a picture.

It's a lot of work, and I make  alittle  money at it, but I'm totally wiped
out when it's over.  Anything left over usually goes to the MG sale in May.
Anything that wasn't ready, though, I just hold over for a small sale at the
end of August.

Kittty