Spring Chores

Good Morning All!

Although the sun did not shine yesterday, I dragged myself out into the
garden to start some of the post-winter pruning. A couple of my spireas and
berberis have been growing out of bounds, so I did some pruning to open them
up and lower their height a bit. The spirea's branches were so delicately
beautiful, that I brought a bunch inside to force in a vase.  The bark is a
warm mahogany color and the branches are somewhat twisted.  This variety was
S. 'Magic Carpet' and it gets beautiful coppery leaves in the spring.

I was surprised to see the color inside the stems of berberis.  It was a
bright chartreuse!  I've cut the stems for arrangements, but I don't recall
seeing that glowing lime color when I've pruned before.  I didn't bring any
of these in to force, but I probably should as they have very pretty,
although diminutive, flowers.

Since Easter is very early this year, there won't be any photos of spring
bloom.  I want to clean the beds where we hide the Easter eggs so that they
look somewhat presentable. It's only going to be 45 degrees today, but the
sun is shining so I should be able to cut back perennials and rake.  Of
course, I also need to get some groceries and clean the house, so today is
going to be busy!

Chris