Re: Spring Chores

Zem, I did the exact same thing yesterday. My yard looked like some kind of
jungle in the front. I had cleared out a section on the front bank last
year of dying Santolina and Lantana (too wet) and planted rye grass to keep
the dirt in place. WOW, did it like that spot. Then I finished a raised bed
I had started, planted some things out of the greenhouse all just in time
for the thunderstorms to hit here. It has rained all day and I was supposed
to go to my Grandmother's but I decided I didn't want to drive 4 hours one
way to eat lunch and then turn around and drive back in the thunderstorm
weather. Put me down for a "no" on that. Not to mention the fact that my
window in my car broke yesterday (the weight thingy that makes it go up and
down) so my window is duct taped shut. Stunning, I tell you. I could be on
a redneck commercial.

Anyway, I went to the nursery yesterday and bought some portulaca for the
raised bed but they had these beautiful plants I've never seen before
called 'Schizanthus' I think. It's pouring out or I'd go check, so I've got
to research them and see where to plant them. Anyone had any experience
with them? The foliage is kind of fern-like, or herb-like and the flowers
are very small, oddly shaped, one plant hot pink and the other flower is
white with pink, yellow, and orange speckles or spots. Very pretty. I got
two of the speckled and one hot pink. Though I'd put them all in one
container together as they only get about 12 inches.

I am so ready for sunny weather. I'm starting to mildew.