re: Mushrooms

Mushrooms do essentially the same thing earthworms do--break down
cellulose into constituent parts that plants can use. Far from harming
healthy plants, they are quite beneficial. And since they are merely
the fruiting body of the real plant [the mycelium? something like that]
they are almost irrelevant to the work the fungi are doing underground.
So rip them out if you don't like them.

> I bought my first Home Depot plant about 4-6 weeks ago.  It's a
> Cordyline,
> but not like my C. baurii.  This one has wide dark purple leaves that
> are
> streaked with a sort of hot pink.  I placed it near my front door and
> gave
> it a bit of water, but that's all for now.  I plant to plant it
> outside in
> my TP garden this summer.  The potting soil is now sprouting
> nasty-looking,
> tall, beige-ish mushrooms.  I've never had a houseplant do that.  What
> do I
> do, besides the obvious of pulling them out?  Why are they there?
> Some sort
> of soil imbalance?
> Kitty

Island Jim