> I don't know what you can do for your damage Chris; I would be so
> dispirited.  I would probably resort to miles of cages if I didn't have my
> cats.  I tried to get our nursery group to build protection for our outlying
> bed of shrubs grown for sale, but they said it wasn't necessary this early.
> I just looked at them the other day and the marauders had already been
> there.

I've been thinking of robotic laser cannons, but I'd probably forget to
turn them off when I went out in the garden.  I *have* been researching my
great-grandmother's Basque recipe for rabbit stew and dreaming of trying
it someday -- maybe I'll reach the breaking point and it will become
reality.  :)

This winter has been particularly bad in terms of rodent damage.  I don't
know if it was the warmer weather or lack of snow that encouraged the
little fuzzballs to come out, but they sure were active.  If I keep
losing plants, I might have to give up on gardening and will just think
about it instead (kind of like dating :)

I *did* end up adopting a chow/Australian shepherd mix from the humane
society in February, so hopefully he'll keep the barbarians at the gates.
But I'm concerned that he might do even more damage.  :(

He was at the humane society for six months and was one week away from
euthanasia, so I had to take the poor guy home.  He already answered to
the name of Romeo, so that's what we stuck with.  You can see him at

http://www.hort.net/gallery/      3690 online plant photos and growing!
http://www.hort.net/gallery/date/2005-03-20/       The latest additions