Re: War Zone

So, what have you been using in the potting soil, Jim?  Any
bloodmeal, bonemeal or fish based anything?  If you're using any of
that sort of stuff, it probably is sure the tasty morsel is down in
that pot somewhere if only it can get to it.  Poor critter is hungry
and looking for a meal.

Trapping raccoons this time of year is not really a grand thing as
they may have a nest of babies somewhere who will then starve to
death...a longish sort of process.  Mamma coons are pretty desperate
for food this time of year as nursing takes a lot out of them and
there's not a lot of food around - tho' in your part of the world,
that's probably not the case as it's always summer where you are.

I'm surprised it's not going after any ripe fruit you've got growing
around - coons love fruit.

Get a bag of cheap dog kibble and put some at a far corner
somewhere....if it is a raccoon, it will find it and leave your pots
(or bird feeders) alone.

Kitty...they do mess up water; love to play in it plus they don't
manufacture much saliva, so wash everything they eat in water to help
slurp it up.  Of course, they track whatever's on their paws into the
water as well...regular sludge mess in the big pot bottom I use to
provide them with water - I have to rinse it out every night before
filling it again.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs