Mulch Mania

Following is an e-mail from our county agent regarding the recent spate of e-mails re Louisiana mulch.
----- Original Message ----- Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 1:34 PM
Subject: Fw: Mulch Mania

William B. Wyatt
Extension Agent
Madison County
(731) 668-8543
----- Forwarded by William B Wyatt/MADISON/EXT/UTIA on 03/07/2006 01:32 PM -----

| |
| |
| |
| |
| Agriculture & Forestry Today with Commissioner Bob Odom of Louisiana |
| Contact: Ashley Rodrigue |
| March 3, 2006 |
| |
| Don't believe everything you read on the Internet. |
| That is the message Commissioner of Agriculture and Forestry Bob Odom |
| is stressing to the public as an email rumor about Formosan |
| termite-infested mulch is circling the globe. |
| The email warns consumers not to purchase "cheap" wood mulch at major |
| home improvement chains because it may be infested with Formosan |
| termites. |
| "The email is not accurate and doesn't even mention the quarantines |
| this department put in place last fall to keep Formosan termites from |
| spreading," Odom said. The Louisiana Department of Agriculture and |
| Forestry issued quarantines following the hurricanes for woody debris |
| in |
| Cameron, Calcasieu, Jefferson, Jefferson Davis, Orleans, Plaquemines, |
| St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. John, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa and |
| Washington parishes. Woody debris cannot be moved out of these areas |
| without first submitting a plan for treatment to the department. |
| "I've had my people out looking into these claims to make sure there |
| are no violations of the quarantine. I've also had our invasive pest |
| expert contact the stores mentioned in the email and we've yet to find|
| any validity to the claims in the email," Odom said. |
| "In my opinion, someone is using the Internet to cause hysteria about |
| a |
| problem that doesn't really exist. If there are people out there who |
| know about someone violating the quarantines, then they need to report|
| it to us. We'll shut the culprits down real quick but it has to be |
| reported," Odom said. "I think the quarantines doing the job, though. |
| We've worked with the debris contractors, the Corps of Engineers and |
| FEMA to handle the debris and quarantines." |
| To report a quarantine violation, call (225) 925-3763. -30- |
| |

Darrell D. Hensley
University of Tennessee
Entomology & Plant Pathology