Re: Re: crazy weather/ flooding

I'm always amazed at where building is allowed. They're putting in a new subdivision a few blocks from me on what has always been a marshy, often flooded area. Even before they dredged the creek upstream, it would often flood, and all of the new construction will silt it up fast!

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, March 12, 2006 6:33 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Re: crazy weather/ flooding

I'm not sure of exact code requirements, I'm not much of a numbers person,
all newer construction areas (since the 70's I'm guessing) are built on
raised area above the street. All driveways and front yards slope down to the
street....for runoff and prevent flooding. Problem was that the older areas were
flooding badly, since they were level with the streets and much lower than
the newer areas. There was so much new construction in wetland areas where
the water used to go. This caused bad flooding, as seen with Allison some
years back. Now the law is to have retention ponds every so often. In more
expensive neighborhoods these are disguised as elaborate ponds with rock
formations, plantings, etc. In other areas, the plan is to plant them with native
wetland plants. Others are native grasses which are kept mowed
(unfortunately). We have a lot of bayous that run throughout the city, especially in my
neighborhood, which used to be one of those wetlands. When I tell a long time
resident of Houston where I live, they always say, "oh yes, the rice
patties". Apparently for generations this entire area was used to farm rice. We do
have parks on either side of our subdivision that have natural and man made
lakes. Great for the wildlife, and viewing of birds in our area. We used to
live in the "country", but not anymore at all...so the parks alleviate that
feeling of claustrophobia for me.

zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast