Re: taxy qstn - PBR?

Thanks Chris, I figured you'd know, but I thought you might be too busy with your plants, catalog, job, etc to reply. So I guess I can disregard PBR.

neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 2:26 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] taxy qstn - PBR?

Does anyone know what (PBR) in superscript stands for in taxonomy (beer is
not the topic)?
For example:
On the RHS database, they list:
Clematis Golden Tiara
as the preferred selling name for
Clematis 'Kugotia' (PBR-superscripted)

I understand that Golden Tiara is the trademark name (or, as they show, the
preferred selling name) and that this should not be shown with single
quotes. The single quotes are reserved for use with the plants botanical
cultivar name, the name given it by the person who selected or developed
it. Usually I'll see a superscript R or TM after the seling name, but what
is the superscripted (PBR) after the botanical name?
Hi Kitty,

  It stands for 'Plant Breeder's Rights'; if I remember correctly, it's
  an Aussie/New Zealand thing and doesn't have legal bearing here.