Re: Re: Wisteria festival

Donna, you read my mind.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 5:42 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: Wisteria festival

Threaten it ... Seems when ever I decide that - if
this plant is not going to bloom or grow, next spring
it is out of here...They all seem to put on a great
show that year.

Donna

--- TeichFlora@aol.com wrote:

Great pics, Cyndi.  I love wisteria wood, how it
gets so  twisted.  I've
tried to keep some of mine, but it gets quite
brittle with  time.  When I cut the
straggly vines back though, I've used those to make
baskets, they seem to
hold up much better....although not as decorative.

I've had this wisteria since 1990, it has never
bloomed.  We have  gotten all
sorts of advice in the past and tried it, even from
this group when  it was
AHS.   No nitrogen fertilizer, pruning roots, not
cutting  it back at all, you
name it.   Nothing.  It was not blooming  when we
purchased it, some say it's
just a dud (?).  We keep saying we are  going to
yank it out and try something
else, but it has been there so long, and  it is
located right on a cedar
fence, that digging it would cause problems, I
think.  It really is annoying how
it climbs into every tree, and then every  year I
have to cut out the vines.
Haven't gotten to cutting it yet, and  was hoping it
would bloom this year but
it already has put out  foliage.  This might
definitely be the year it
goes.....but then we say  that every year.  And it
is not like this type doesn't do
well here, since  they are growing wild all through
the Texas Piney woods and
bloom  religiously.
Anyone have any clues, or had experience with
non-blooming wisteria?   Or
perhaps encouragement to finally take the step to
get rid of it.  Just  kills me
to get rid of a perfectly good plant........... just
because  it doesn't
bloom.  Tired of giving it another chance though.

We have an evergreen wisteria, _Milletia reticulata
_

(http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/redir?src=websearch&requestId=2cc636627b6a86a6&clickedItemRank=2&userQue

ry=Evergreen+wisteria&clickedItemURN=http://www.magnoliagardensnursery.com/pro

ductdescrip/Milletia_Ever.html&title=Milletia+reticulata+-+Evergreen+Wisteria)
 , that  we've only had a few years, it has bloomed
consistently.  Another
thing I  like about this one vs. the other type,
besides being evergreen, is
that it  blooms all summer and fall, and sometimes
winter till first freeze.  It
seems to be very hardy, has never frozen back or had
any freeze damage to the
 vine even.

Noreen
zone 9