Re: Re: dogs

That sounds a lot like what our Popper went through during her last month. It's not easy to give them up, but I applaud your courage. I'm sorry for your loss. Sending virtual hugs.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 5:27 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Re: dogs

Donna, this is exactly what happened with our Chow. She had been going
blind slowly for some time. We left the Xmas lights up for her, so she could see
at night to go potty, since she had a few episodes where she fell into the
pond, or got herself stuck places that she could not get out. But she was
doing okay all in all, we thought...just signs of aging. In the past week or so
(maybe a little longer) she's been acting kind of odd. We thought she had
doggy Alzheimers. She would walk into stuff and insist on going through it.
Not like before where she just could not see, it's as if she INSISTED on
going straight ahead no matter what....no matter if something was in the way or
not. Figured it was because she could only see directly infront of herself,
but I had to save her several times from getting herself into areas that she
could not find her way out. Then she would sit and could not stand up.
Figured that was old age too, but that too got worse. We had grown really
concerned about her, and brought her in more and more, and would not let her go out
without supervision. Vet said she had mini strokes, that's why she all of a
sudden would drag her hind end. But after a few minutes she could walk again,
I thought it was just old achy bones. Then a few nights ago she had a
siezure. It was just like an epiliptic fit. I read in the vet book that it was
either epilepsy or brain tumor. So we took her to the Vet, he said that
she indeed had a brain tumor, common in older dogs...and that it would just get
worse and worse. He recommended putting her to sleep right then and there.
Was sad, but at least she doesn't have to suffer anymore. She was such a
good dog to the very end. She never showed signs of pain, but the Vet said at
least the last couple days, she probably was. Poor thing, I miss her, but at
least now she's not suffering.
Thanks for caring!!

zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast