Re:Neighborhood Cats / Poncirus trifoliata

Hm...interesting.  These that my mom has on her tree are not small and  fuzzy
at all.  They are like regular oranges.  I have a trifoliate  orange in a pot
that I was going to graft on, but haven't gotten a chance...it  produced
fruit, which although smaller than mom's are also like regular oranges,  just much
more sour.  Too sour to eat, although I've been known to love  sour things.
We have mock oranges around here too......Philadelphus texensis....now they
do put out fuzzy small fruit that is inedible.  The tree, although also
evergreen, is more ornamental looking, to me.
Speaking of the Poncirus trifoliata......there is a variety here, Jim you
might know if it has a cultivar name, or a subspecies......here we call it P.
trifoliata "flying dragon".   It is also used for root stock here in  Texas,
but when it comes to growing it on it's own, I much prefer it over the  regular
P. trifoliata.    It's thorns are downward turned, rather  than sticking
straight out like the trifoliate, the growth habit is more linear  and
narrow.....instead of tree shaped.  And the part I love best, the  branches are all
twisted and narled, kind of like a Harry Lauder walking stick  (which unfortunately
doesn't grow here....one of my favorites).  So it is  quite decorative as well
as a great barrier.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast
In a message dated 3/21/2006 11:02:36 PM Central Standard Time,