Re: Delightful morning...

The arrangements and the bride's bouquet sound beautiful, Bonnie. And I can tell you had a wonderful time doing it. I'm sure the bride was delighted with your help.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 7:29 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Delightful morning...

I had a delightful morning. One of the women that works in DH's office is
getting married tomorrow. She's paying for it herself, so she's trying to
keep costs down. She found a local place that sells flowers at wholesale
costs to the public. The catch is that you have to bring your own ribbon
and do your own arranging. She got all the flowers for her wedding for
under $200.00. She called me to ask if I'd help (like I'd turn that offer

She's getting married in front of a large fireplace with a nice mantel and a
beautiful mirror above it. She wanted a vase of flowers there, but the vase
she brought was maybe 8" tall. I ran home and got a taller blue vase for
her to use and some ivy from the back yard. (It's only a 5 min. drive.) We
filled it with about 8 pale blue hydrangea heads, using pitosporum as filler
and tucking in a healthy amount of baby's breath to keep it airy. I put
three trailing pieces of ivy down the front so it could drape over the

Then she had about 5 small bowls for table flowers, so we tucked 1 hydrangea
each into those bowls and placed white roses peeking through the panicles.
She chose cream colored tulips for her bouquet and for her bridesmaid, but
found that it didn't look very full, so we worked on a tier system with
baby's breath, moving each layer of tulips 1/2 down from the previous
"round" until she got something she liked.

She had 5 other small bowls that we filled with the remaining pitosporum and
tulips for other rooms in the facility (restrooms, halls, etc.)

It only took a couple hours, darn it! I could have spent the whole day
there, especially since it started snowing again as we left. Now I know
where to get a winter "blossom" fix!

Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)