Re: Re: Help with H. americana!/ shipping dates

Lots of changes going on, Kitty, Chris, Marge and others
Wholesalers are delaying startup due to cost of fuel to heat greenhouses. In the past I almost never received a fully dormant plant... now most of the ones I received this spring are about 30 days behind what I normally receive. It is for me to make up at this end, but I will have to keep all this in mind for next year when planning the catalog. I can not expect to grow on for 30 to 45 days after they have broken dormancy and grown it on for another 30 days or so.... usually a bit more. Everything does flow downhill, you know. Nursery and garden center are now being stuck with the increased cost.
If you are a retail nursery that ships... I receive an order with ephemerals and late bloomers in the same order. Ephemerals have to be shipped early while dormant... most of them do not ship well when in leaf/bloom. Or, wait until fall. Most gardeners will not plant in the fall, resent delays of what they want when they want it.... so.....
We do not refrigerate plants to hold them back here... nor would we if we could. When the plants are ready they plants are ready. Not fussing at you, just pointing out perspective of the nursery doing the shipping.
I know I am starting a thread I can not keep up with here... up to my unmentionables in packing and shipping... dividing orders and sucking up the cost of additional boxing and postage to see that the plants live.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

The Cyclamen are in leaf; don't know if they've already flowered.

Thanks for the cold frame info. I get pretty scared about testing something like that on plants that aren't my own, though. I just never expected Greer to ship so soon; thought they'd wait until proper shipping time for my zone. I neglected to fill in the space on their form to request a date.