Re: what is WITH this weather!

Brrrr- you all make me really happy I live in Sacramento right now. It has been sunny and gorgeous for the past 2 days. Unfortunately I managed to catch the stomach bug that has been going around our schools- so last night was not fun at all. I'm feeling better today- but haven't dared to eat anything yet- just water. So, all my great weekend plans are just going to wait, as I think sleeping is first on the agenda today.

Stay warm and safe all you in the crazy weather areas.

Theresa

Richard Apking wrote:
Hi Ceres and all,
Yeah, we're kinda snowed in. The village plows the streets, and they blow shut again quite rapidly. As I look out of my "office/library" window, my visibility is about a quarter mile with 25 to 35 mph winds and a windchill of around 7 degrees. Yesterday it stopped snowing for a while, at that time we had 12". We're getting probably another 1 or 2 with the "curl around behind" action of yesterday's storm, which you were so lucky to particiipate in. The wind is supposed to slacken tonight, and tomorrow is supposed to be sunny with temps in the 30's. I really hope it doesn't warm too quickly, since there are a couple of major ice dams upstream from here on the Elkhorn river that if they let go together will certainly cause extreme flooding here. So, temps that just stat to melt things, then freeze at night for the next week or so would really be a good thing. Rich, under the gun in Z-5

Cersgarden@aol.com wrote:

I have lots of catchup to read. What a week! We were hit hard last weekend by lots of rain, ice & snow. Thousands still without power and we got it again yesterday. Everything is shut down today including the Interstate 35 & 80 north to Minnesota, west to Nebraska and east to Iowa City. Natl Guard have been called out to rescue stranded motorist and maning shelters for those the stranded and without electricity. Winds are still strong but reduced from last night and the snow is now very light. We have standing water under snow in areas of our lawn as the ground is frozen so can't be absorbed. The sump pump is running dumping water out on top of the snow. I think we got btwn 6-10 " snow yesterday and fortunately the rains melted a lot of the previous snow except where the drifts are so high. A good % of my shrubs are totally covered with snow. This seems like a small problem when reading of the tornadoes and the lives lost. This has been a 'when it rains it pours' sort of time. Our son has been in ICU with pneumonia since Feb 14th, was finally moved to a regular room Tue night and if all goes well will be released on Mon. A 47 yr old nephew passed away last Thur and the funeral was Tues in btwn storms. I lost my internet service last Fri. My son has always taken care of my problems but I was fortunately able to restore the service with the help of Quest. I assume you will or are getting our weather today, Donna. Rich, are you snowed or iced in? Thanks for all the comments on the washer/dryer question. I was fortunate to get my dryer repaired so I am on hold for a new one at this time. My son jokingly ask if the dryer was older than the repairman. I think I am leaning to a Whirlpool as this has been recommended by several appliance repair people. If I relied on the internet infor I wouldn't want to purchase any! I know people usually do not respond if they are satisfied but holler if they are unhappy. A friend just called me the other day regarding her Maytag Neptune which she has had for only 17 months. The window in the door broke while the machine was in a wash cycle resulting in broken glass mixed with her clothes not to speak of the water mess. The cost of a repair man to step inside her door was $70 and then the cost of repairs. She went to a commercial launder and washed her clothes, dumped them in the dryer and noticed a spearmint smell but didn't see anything till the load was dried. She had liquid gum coating her clothes. She wasn't sure if the gum was in the washer or dryer but she was frustrated.
    Hope you are all safe and warm!
         Ceres