Re: rain garden

I attended a workshop last summer on water.  One of the presentations was
on rain gardens.  I have a CD with the presentation.  According to the
presentation, rain gardens can significantly reduce runoff and the demand
made on storm water systems, flooding, and reduce pollution.  They don't
seem difficult to construct.  You need a soil filter rate of 2.5".  The
water needs to perk in 3 days to avoid mosquitoes.  The example shown was a
bed 12'x8'x3'.  Mix 1/3 gravely sand, 1/3 sandy loam, and 1/3 compost
(highly organic such as leaf or horse manure).  Use a mixture of native and
cultivated plants that like periodic flooding.

A bluegrass lawn absorbs at 0-2-inches/hour;  2-year- native switch grass
at 7.5 inches/hour; and, mature forest undergrowth at 21 inches/hour.

I'm going to try one on a gentle slope of my lawn.

Bonnie Zone 7/7 ETN