Re: amending soil for turf grass planting

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: amending soil for turf grass planting
  • From: "Pam Evans" <gardenqueen@gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 09:14:05 -0500

LOL - bet that was a grueling task.  Theresa, best amendments I can
recommend for clay are compost and lava sand.  I would dig up a new bed,
work the soil loose w/ my garden fork, put down several inches of both and
fork it all in.
Once it was all well mixed, would smooth the area out and plant, water and
mulch.  Voila.  Since you have a tiller this will be a little easier to
manage.  I tried to get all beds dug down 12" and xeriscape beds like the
big herb bed, 18" to ensure the sharp drainage these plants require.  Not
sure about the pre-emergent, maybe horticultural cornmeal?

On 3/16/07, Theresa W <tchessie1@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Hi all-
> Ok- so I've officially starting my backyard rehab plan.  I rented a sod
> cutter, cut most of the backyard this afternoon.  Parts or too dry and
> parts are too wet for it to easily roll up an be removed.  Sooo this is
> going to be quick the project this weekend, but I'm sure I'll get it
> done somehow.  And the whole drainage, poor grading issue is part of why
> I'm redoing it anyway.
> So- eventually I'll get all the old sod removed, and then I want to
> amend the very clay soil back there.  Does anyone have
> experience/suggestions of what to use to amend it and at what rate of
> application.  Also, I understant there is some kind of pre-emergent weed
> preventor that I can use when I plant the grass seed.  Anybody know what
> it is?
> Thanks,
> Theresa (who kind of feels like she's been through the wringer cycle in
> the washing machine after using the sod cutter this afternoon)

Pam Evans
Kemp TX
zone 8A