Re: Pet Food Recall

The new diseases are really scary, if they can be transmitted that easily. Makes me want to stay away from the vet's office and PetSmart like I try to stay away from the drugstore during flu season.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2007 4:07 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Pet Food Recall

Thanks for the heads-up Daryl.  None of my boys' foods are on the list.
Jack just had his annual last week and the vet said they've added another innoculation - boy this one is really scary!
From his newsletter that arrived yesterday:
"...There is a new Calicivirus emerging in the US that has a high mortality rate. Virulent systemic calicivirus (VS-FCV) can kill healthy cats within 24-48 hours. Clinical signs include facial and limb swelling, oral ulcers, high fever, ulcerative dermatitis, and organ dysfunction. Fortunately there is a new vaccine for this disease that we have incorporated into our vaccination protocol for feline patients. Canine influenza (Dog Flu) emerged as a threat early in 2006 [symptoms similar to Kennel Cough] accompanied by severe pneumonia. This disease also has a high mortality rate and there is no vaccine currently available."

He told me of a case in PA in which a woman brought 3 cats in for wellness checks, all got clean bills of health, but were all dead 3 days later because they contracted the disease from a public scale in the vet's waiting room.

neIN, Zone 5