Marching towards spring

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Marching towards spring
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:03:25 -0700

We are back to "normal" spring weather - if there is normal any more -
it's cool, windy, and cloudy. I doubt we'll get rain but my fingers are
crossed, anything would help.
I did more pruning back the dead stuff in the dry garden on Saturday.
Sheesh there's a lot of that. I have seen a very few living parts on the
bigger salvias, I think those are all salvia clevelandii, mostly near
the bottom of the plant and in one case on the end of a branch that had
been buried by a gopher mound. I am not sure if they will come back from
the roots or not, so I left them about a foot tall and I'll call
Theodore Payne nursery today for advice. I didn't have time to do all of
them so just in case the nursery screams at me "Don't touch them!" I'll
still have half left alone. However what I cut off was really dead,
crunchy brittle dead, and I don't think there are plant zombies; so I'm
pretty sure pruning was okay.
Husband rototilled the entire veggie garden. In one bed where I had left
the leaky hose attached it must have been getting water, nice moist
dirt. We pulled at least a hundred june bug larvae out of there. EEUUWW
although the chickens were happy about it. No kidding there were quarts
of them, I don't remember seeing that many June bugs around last year.
Makes me wonder what's in all the other beds, maybe they are lurking
farther down in the soil. And I let the chickens out all winter, they
are supposed to take care of that sort of thing, what's wrong with them?
Anyway I sowed the green beans; I meant to get more stuff in but I ran
out of time. We did fill up the dumpster with debris though. This is
becoming our standard for a successful weekend - if we fill up the
dumpster we know we've worked enough. :-)
No gardening on Sunday, we took the horses out. Nice ride, too bad about
the dry winter, the hills would have been covered by wildflowers in a
wetter year. Oh well. And despite my sister telling us "Oh I never see
ticks around this area" there were plenty of them. I must say this whole
horse thing has me learning about some stuff that I never really wanted
to know, like ticks. But we do have fun. It was great weather and I only
wish I'd thought to put sunscreen on my arms and not just my face.
Next weekend more garden maintenance. I know we have at least two broken
sprinklers, and then there's more pruning.