Re: runner beans

Edible. Phaseolus coccineus "Hestia". The non-dwarf P. coccineus is a perennial bean [like lablab]. Native to the highlands of Central America. Apparently grows a large, starchy root that is also edible. Lablab may be edible, too--depends on who you listen to. Some sources [U North Carolina, I think] say it's mildly poisonous and gives people a bellyache. Others [U if Florida, I think] say it's perfectly edible and a staple in south Asia, although some people have difficulty digesting it.