Happy Vernal Equinox!

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Happy Vernal Equinox!
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 13:43:02 -0700

I know I am late by a day but hey, it's spring! I was thinking of all
the things I need to do, a constant occupation for me. Even knowing that
I won't get to most of them I still like to think I will. Some day.
We waited until last weekend to pull out the poor rhododendron. I
figured it was hopeless but I left it anyway in case of miracles. I
don't know why one short week of no water killed it off - it was in
October, not really that hot - but nonetheless it died. Husband kept
saying it could not have been the watering but eh, it was happy before
we shut off the water and indubitably dead the next week. Now I need
something to put in that northwest corner. I am considering moving my
Japanese maple, which is struggling in the teahouse garden. It isn't
very big so should be simple to do, and it will get more shade and wind
protection there.
I broached the subject of hiring gardeners to help me clean up the front
and you'd have thought I hit husband with a cattle prod. However, if
he's not willing for us to spend money on it then by golly he's going to
help me. Some chores don't require much critical thought, like trimming
the junipers and pyracantha, so we'll see how it goes. And he is capable
of pulling out grass from the dry garden, I will have to emphasize that
NOTHING other than grass gets pulled, but if I repeat the rules ten or
twelve times he'll be okay.
In the greenhouse I have peppers and tomatoes sprouted, didn't get as
good germination from the peppers as I'd like but they are quite slow
normally. I did the saltpeter trick on the chiles and they did okay
except for the habaneros, none of them are up and it's been two weeks.
We'll see.  All but two of the twelve mesquite pots have sprouts. I
should have made a control set too, seeds that I did not scarify at all,
to see what would happen.  I decided I will transplant the mesquites
into 5-gallon containers and put them in the veggie garden where they
can grow and be regularly watered this year (and not eaten by rabbits or
gophers), and hopefully next year I'll put them into the ground.
If the weather is good I will not get much gardening done this weekend,
we have two days of riding planned. If it's too windy to ride I can weed
and start deadheading daffodils.  Sure wish I had more free time, but
that's the way it is now, I have to garden smarter I suppose.
Speaking of free time I joined the Paperback Swap online, much fun. I
started listing about 20 books and before I was done I had orders for
five of them. Now I can get five more books! I don't know when I'll get
to read them, but that's not the point.  :-)

Cyndi