RE: Happy Vernal Equinox!

Cyndi:  Thanks for the info.  I'll give paperback.com a look.

Blessings in Christ's mercy,

 --- On Fri 03/21, Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/SCSRT < cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil > wrote:
From: Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/SCSRT [mailto: cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 15:49:07 -0700
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Happy Vernal Equinox!

I'm hoping all y'all back east are not under water or buried
in<br>snowdrifts. I know the news only shows the worst parts but sure
seems<br>like there are a lot of worst parts. Here it is in the 70s and
sunny, no<br>wind to speak of...my fingers are crossed that we'll have
this<br>throughout the weekend. May everyone be warm and dry...except
on a credit system; you list however many<br>books you want to get rid
of. If someone else wants that book they<br>request it. You mail it
cheap and gain a credit, which you can spend on<br>someone else's book
in the system, and they mail it to you. Only costs<br>you the price of
mailing (about 2.15 for a paperback and a little more<br>for a
hardback), plus wrapping stuff. I like their mailing setup, you<br>print
out the mailing label on plain printer paper and use the sheet
to<br>wrap the book. Works great on paperbacks. Oodles of books too, I
looked<br>at it when

it started up some time back and didn't join, but they're<br>pretty big
owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]
gardenchat@hort.net<br>Subject: RE: [CHAT] Happy Vernal
Equinox!<br><br>Cyndi: What is the paperback swap and how does it work?
that was going to bring snow<br>missed us completely...not even any
rain! Good for us but not so good<br>for north and east of us...I guess
Minnesota, Michigan, and Illinois are<br>a mess...hundreds of flights
Friday and the Vernal Equinox coincide? Cannot<br>be that often. One of
our parishioners was born on Easter Sunday...and<br>had to wait 80 years
before her birthday fell on another Easter Sunday.<br>My kids find it
fascinating that Easter is

03/21, Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/SCSRT
<<br>cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil > wrote:<br>From: Johnson, Cyndi D Civ
USAF AFMC 95 CG/SCSRT [mailto:<br>cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil]<br>To:
gardenchat@hort.net<br>Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 13:43:02 -0700<br>Subject:
[CHAT] Happy Vernal Equinox!<br><br>I know I am late by a day but hey,
it's spring! I was thinking of<br>all<br>the things I need to do, a
constant occupation for me. Even<br>knowing that<br>I won't get to most
of them I still like to think I<br>will. Some day.<br>We waited until
last weekend to pull out the poor<br>rhododendron. I<br>figured it was
hopeless but I left it anyway in case<br>of miracles. I<br>don't know
why one short week of no water killed it<br>off - it was in<br>October,
not really that hot -

but nonetheless it<br>died. Husband kept<br>saying it could not have
been the watering but eh,<br>it was happy before<br>we shut off the
water and indubitably dead the<br>next week. Now I need<br>something to
put in that northwest corner. I am<br>considering moving my<br>Japanese
maple, which is struggling in the<br>teahouse garden. It isn't<br>very
big so should be simple to do, and it<br>will get more shade and
gardeners to help me clean up the front<br>and you'd<br>have thought
for us<br>to spend money on it then by golly he's going to<br>help me.
Some chores<br>don't require much critical thought, like trimming<br>the
junipers and<br>pyracantha, so we'll see how it goes. And he is
capable<br>of pulling<br>out grass from the dry garden, I will have to
emphasize that<br>NOTHING<br>other than grass gets pulled, but if I
repeat the rules

peppers and tomatoes<br>sprouted, didn't get as<br>good germination from
the peppers as I'd like<br>but they are quite slow<br>normally. I did
the saltpeter trick on the<br>chiles and they did okay<br>except for the
habaneros, none of them are<br>up and it's been two weeks.<br>We'll see.
All but two of the twelve<br>mesquite pots have sprouts. I<br>should
have made a control set too,<br>seeds that I did not scarify at
all,<br>to see what would happen. I<br>decided I will transplant the
garden where they<br>can grow and be<br>regularly watered this year (and
not eaten by rabbits or<br>gophers),<br>and hopefully next year I'll put
them into the ground.<br>If the weather<br>is good I will not get much
gardening done this weekend,<br>we have two<br>days of riding planned.
If it's too windy to ride I can weed<br>and<br>start deadheading

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com