Re: Happy News!!!

I read it anyway! I went into administration because I felt that as an
individual clinician I could only make a difference for the patients I
cared for individually, or for those cared for by those few nurses who
observed and modeled their care after mine. As an administrator, I
felt that by being an advocate for my staff, making working conditions
better, monitoring the care given, and setting standards, I could
influence the quality of care given to many more patients.  My
observation of care in our local hospital (as a volunteer, and once as
a patient) tells me that hospital administration is far more
interested in putting money into high tech equipment than care givers.
I imagine I would be very frustrated there as a nursing administrator!
Have a lot of ambivalence regarding unionization. Generally, I think
hospitals have very little expertise in negotiation, and my own
feeling is that a well negotiated union contract can make an
administrator's life easier: the union enforces it! My concern about
unions is that by their nature, and regardless of rhetoric, they are
focused on their membership, and not on patient welfare. (Just as
teachers unions are not focused on whether students are actually

Cathy, west central IL, z5b