Re: Miller in April

  • Subject: Re: Miller in April
  • From: Maria <marolsh@verizon.net>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 19:48:01 -0400

Thirty-five or forty years ago, Organic Gardening magazine recommended it for tomatoes. The technique involved burying a #10 juice can with several holes punched around the bottom. The can was filled with manure and three tomato plants were then deeply planted around it. Water was poured into the can and delivered manure tea directly to the roots.

I was living in NYC and had tomatoes planted in a small yard with wretched "soil" and too little sun, but actually got some very respectable tomatoes with this method.

Maria in NE PA, zone 5b

Germans have used this method for years, call it "dung water"...makes a big
difference...I think you might have an opportunity.