Nice weekend
  • Subject: Nice weekend
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 14:19:45 -0700

It wasn't sunny this weekend but it wasn't windy and it was warm, I'll
take that any day. I pulled so many weeds I had dreams about it, I
filled the 55 gallon trash can about 8 times. And it doesn't even look
like I did much. My front garden needs a lot of heavy labor so I did
some of that and got tired. Then the dry garden is just covered in
grass; I was trying to get the grass that already has seed heads so I
was meandering from clump to clump. I started hoeing that up earlier
this winter but quit, afraid I'd dig up poppies too, but I should have
done it anyway. The grass is so thick the poppies couldn't get started
so the only place I have any is where I did the work. I left one big
patch because the desert dandelions are doing pretty well there despite
the long grass. I can get out there again after work at least once this
week I expect, and do a little more.
My white-flowered currant is getting huge! It was covered with flowers
which are now dying out but still no signs of berries. I guess it needs
a pollinator.
Daffodils are going fast, I deadheaded a lot of them yesterday. I have a
few more in the teahouse garden that are just blooming now so we'll have
those for another week probably. Husband put the mower deck on the
tractor and mowed the area between the house and the veggie garden, and
I got into the tight spots with the weedeater, maybe we can avoid the
dogs getting millions of foxtails embedded in them. Depends on if the
grass has time enough to set seed again before it gets too dry. The
sprinkler box in the back is once again home to a bee colony, darn it,
apparently another group moved in. Told husband if he could find a used
hive cheap we'd just set it up next to the sprinkler box and take off
the cover...when it's dark...wearing a lot of clothes... and maybe
they'd move into the beehive.
Went riding Sunday into the hills. Lots of poppies and other flowers on
display, nothing eye-popping but they're out there. It's spring for sure