Re: Spring...
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Spring...
  • From: james singer <inlandjim1@q.com>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 16:45:46 -0700

We had an iris bloom last week--almost 2 months ahead of "normal".

On Mar 29, 2010, at 4:14 PM, Pam Evans wrote:

The hellebores sound lovely! My butterfly roses started blooming today and my Japanese painted fern is putting out it first fronds. I was afraid the
bad winter had killed it.  So that was a pleasant surprise!

More yoyo weather here. Nice sunny and mild while we were away at the
State Garden Club Annual Meeting in Saratoga, but turned sharply colder the day we got back - down into the teens at night and low 20s in the day. Now it's turning much warmer again but raining, and promises to rain all
day tomorrow.  Can't seem to win.
My Hellebores are putting on quite a show - I now have three with nice
pinky white colors in addition to the homely old purplish one.  The
pleasant
surprise is a new one in another bed - must have seeded itself over there
for
I would never have put it in that place. It has one flower, but is an
attractive
color. They make a nice showing right now when there's not much else,
and they do last a long time.
A few of the early daffs are opening. Looks like I'll have a succession of bloom this year. I always plan for a succession, but more years than not they all open the same week. Maybe this crazy weather is helping that. The distressing thing is that nowhere in my dozen or more dogwood trees can I find a single flower bud. They are beginning to sprout little green leaves, but no buds. Usually I see them forming in the winter, but not this year. I suppose it must have been something about the season last
fall that prevented them from setting buds.
At this rate I don't know if I will ever get my peas planted. When I was
much
younger I would have gone out in the rain to plant, but sciatica slows me
down
enough now that I don't want to risk making it worse.
Auralie

--
Pam Evans
Kemp TX