OMG it's windy
  • Subject: OMG it's windy
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 11:35:08 -0800

Well, it's spring, the winds have started. Today there are supposed to
be gusts up to 50mph. For all I can tell it is sustained winds at 50mph
as I can barely see 100 yards out the window, there is so much dirt in
the air. I'm hoping my row cover over the pea seeds doesn't get blown
away, because we haven't locked the chickens out of the garden yet. Of
course they don't like wandering around when it's this bad either.
Friday and Saturday were very nice days and it's just too bad I wasn't
able to take advantage of it outside, I was watching workmen lay my new
kitchen floor tile.
I did get some rabbit-proof fences made to put around my peas and
lettuce garden areas; DH made the frames last weekend and we stapled
chicken wire to them on Saturday.  There's so much fencing out there
it's like archeological layers - first layer is the hot wire, then the
hog wire, then the chicken wire, then more hog wire, then the horse
corral panels... As the years go by we keep adding things, but it's too
much trouble to reconfigure the whole area.
I did some weeding yesterday despite the precursor to today's howling
wind, but I wasn't wearing gloves and jammed my hand into a sharp
branch. Nicks and cuts are one thing but when blood started dripping off
my fingers I decided I probably shouldn't be digging in the dirt. It was
a wide shallow scrape so I have a nice scab over the back of my
hand...it's a good thing I don't have a job where I need to look
elegant. :-)
Daffodils are blooming now, very cheerful, there should be a few nice
weeks to come. We saw a few more wildflowers while hiking Sunday, I'm
hoping for another good season. Not much else going on in the garden;
the plum tree is blooming and the roses have a few leaves, that's about