Re: ltr to the editor

Maybe they did realize it! Actually, if it wasn't politically correct to go along with you on this I would have thought that was pretty funny. But, I'm way too PC for that. So, hurumph to the Louisville Slugger people. I've never buy another bat from them again...for my own use.

cathy carpenter wrote:

It's amazing how many people put their mouths or their keyboards into gear before their brains! Like the Louisville Slugger people who placed a billboard in their hometown of Louisville, KY to advertise their museum that stated it has "more old bats than a needlepoint convention". They didn't realize that Louisville is also the headquarters of the Embroiderers' Guild of America. Needless to say the billboard was not there very long!
On Sunday, May 4, 2003, at 11:15 PM, Marge Talt wrote:

Well, Kitty, good for you sending off a scathing rebuttal.  Sounds
like the author was trying to be cute with no knowledge of the
history of horticulture - during all but the recent times of which,
about all professional gardeners were male.  I would still be
surprised if the majority of nursery owners in the world weren't
male.  Used to be that women were relegated to weeding, pricking out
seedlings and other menial tasks, while men were the head gardeners.
So, in addition to being offensively sexist, that statement is dead
wrong.  Go get em'!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :

From: Kitty Morrissy <kmrsy@earthlink.net>

The Living section of our local newspaper today had an article
about a

young man who has opened his own greenhouse and has done so well
that he

is expanding.  I have to ask you folks, what do you think of the

sentence? "A long-lived stereotype identifying plant and flower

as girly gets dirt in its face when Ryan Baker steps onto the
horticulture scene." Kitty