Re: The letter

Regarding my outrage at that writer's reference to "girly", (indicating effeminite) attributes of gardeners/horticulturists:
I'd sort of like to clarify that, as hard working as all us women
gardeners are, we know it's not really a slam. And for a man to be
considered effeminate, in many ways is a compliment; nothing wrong with
it. The reason I'm offended is because, with her choice of the word
"girly" and the structure of her sentence, you could tell she MEANT it
as a slam. I think that often even we women subconsciously agree with
the old-fashioned sterotype of women being considered the weaker sex and
are pleasantly surprised when a man chooses work considered out of sinc
with traditional male choices. We need to remember that there is no
weaker sex. There are general characteristics that should not be used as
stereotypes. As my (male) vet said when we discussing neutering a cat,
"Most of the problems in this world are testicle-driven." But we still
have people like Ghandi and King. And not all women are Mother Theresa.
I'd like to think that any good qualities someone might have could be
had by both men and women. To be a nurturing person should be an
attribute of both sexes, rather than just feminine. To be ambitious
should be considered the same trait for both rather than changing the
word to pushy if it's a woman.

Oh, enough of the soapbox. It's going to take a long time for the world
to change, if it ever does. But I say gardeners/horticulturists are a
tough breed and tough is neither masculine nore feminine.

Kitty