Re: Since we are on id'ing and stuff....

Well, Donna,

> Yep Jim- definitely the year of the rabbit... so what do you all
think
> happened to this hosta? I think it was a rabbit....:( At first I
blamed
> the hail storms... but the one right next to it (not in this
picture)is
> fine...

Does look chewed up, more like slugs than rabbit to me.  Critters
tend to bite more cleanly tho' it could be rabbit gnawing + slugs.  I
have one Pulmonaria that seems to be somebody's idea of a good meal.
Now is the 2nd year someone has come and chomped the center foliage
out of it and it ain't deer...I know that for sure; has to be either
rabbit or groundhog. I am NOT pleased!  Whoever it is and I are going
to have to have a conference about what is and is not on the menu!

> last is this a weed or what?!? Has a definite red streak on the
edges.

Looks mighty like some sort of lily to me, really.  Are you sure you
didn't plant a lily near that spot one year or other?  The only other
thing it more or less resembles is the progeny of Carex 'Sparkler',
who are green, not variegated.  But, from your image, it looks more
succulent about the foliage and stem than a Carex.

I'd leave it and see if it blooms, when it will be easier to ID.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade