Re: [Master_Gardeners] New USDA Zone Map

I appear to now be in zone 6, as opposed to my previous 5b. This does
reflect the kinds of winter that I have experienced over the past 6
years, and I have had some "hardy to zone 6" plants survive without
protection. That said, I have a number of microclimates in my yard as
well. I'll let you know if my  newly planted Callicarpa americana makes
it!
I understand that the online map indicates county names and it is
easier to see what locations are in what zone?
Cathy
On Sunday, May 25, 2003, at 12:03 PM, Kitty Morrissy wrote:

> I've been looking over the new USDA Zone map and find that I have been
> definitely moved into Zone 6 - though you couldn't prove it by this
> past winter.  Gene and I have had a friendly debate going on for some
> time about the previous zone listings.  I'm in northeastern IN and
> he's in southern IN - not all that far from the Ohio River. The new
> map appears to show him in 6, but the area immediately surrounding the
> river is 7, so he may be 6 or 7, can't really tell.
>
> The previous zone map (as viewed in back of AHS A-Z) shows Indiana as
> zone 5 down to below Indianapolis, then Zone 6 clearly through the
> rest of the state, through KY and into TN.  EXCEPT it also showed a an
> eliptical dip of Z5 in the central part of the Zone part 6 portion of
> IN.  I hadn't noticed that b4 and perhaps that included Depauw, so he
> would have been Z5 then.
>
> Anyway, the news is, most of IN is now 6, a narrow ribbon at the
> bottom is 7, and a big chunk on the nw side of the stat is still Z5.
> I still won't bet the farm on Z6 plants surviving here, but may
> possibly take a few risks in future.  Has anyone else experienced a
> zone change?
>
> Kitty
> Zone 6, northeastern IN

<image.tiff>