From: Gene Bush <genebush@otherside.com>
Sent: 05/27/03 07:20 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net, AMaster_Gardeners <Master_Gardeners@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CHAT] New USDA Zone Map

> Hello Kitty,
    Back to our friendly debate.... I have never stated that the USDA map
says I am in ... was in... Zone 5. *I* say I am in zone 5 on occasion.
ever 5 to 6 years we get a cold front come through here like a run away
freight trail from Canada. Usually those fronts weaken out about 75 miles
from here toward Indianapolis. When they do hit here they do not last more
than a week or two. Two weeks of below normal temps may not change the
statistics much, but it sure plays hell with the plants. Especially if you
had a bunch of stuff based sole upon the new map. I will stick with my
personal experiences where I garden.
    Actually, the new weather patterns are more tricky now than ever. This
winter I had more damage than I have had in the past 6 years. Perhaps more
than when we had the last -20 degrees front punch through here. And it did
not get below 0 degrees here in my garden this winter.
    These maps are just a jumping off point... no more. Averages are
games. If the odds are 1000 to 1 that you will get a disease that will
you and you are the one that catches it and dies you are still very much
dead. Small consolation that the other 999 lived. Very small.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
<a target=_blank
Zone 6/5  Southern Indiana