At 07:32 AM 5/27/03 -0500, you wrote:
The disease was originally identified in New Guinea natives who ate the brains of their relatives, thus acquiring the infection. I suspect that the biggest if not only risk is to those who ingest the prions orally. Wash hands well after applying bone meal should be all that is required, but there are exceptions to everything, and some folks may be more susceptible than others.
Cathy
On Sunday, May 25, 2003, at 12:56 AM, Theresa- yahoo wrote:

There is a risk of humans who consume infected beef products to get
Creuzfeld-Jacob disease- as least that is my understanding.  nasty
neurological disorder.  I'm thinking that I probably shouldn't be inhaling
fertilizer dust anyway regardless of what is in it- a dust mask might not be
a bad idea.

Theresa

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Island Jim
Sent: Saturday, May 24, 2003 5:42 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] mad cow/now basic question

mad cow disease is yet another one of those threats to modern civilization
that i have neglected to pay a lot of attention to. i have foolishly
assumed all this time that all it did was decimate the inhumane and crowded
feed lots of the beef producers and the herds of overly subsidized dairy
farmers. for some reason i missed the part about the demonstrated health
risk [key words] to humans. what is it, please?