Plant Labels

Donna wrote:
>>>My issue is plant labels... they need more than a zone and limited info
on them.... Many times I have purchased a plant due to it's appearance,
then get home and research it. You then realize that it will not survive
where you planned on putting it<<<<<<<

Ahhhh! Big reason that I love mailorder! I research b4 I buy. Still that
doesn't always work. Case in point: I love Omphalodes and have ordered
it twice but was only able to find it bareroot. Never successful in
getting it to grow, even though I'd done my research. However my reading
finally paid off. A local nursery carried O. 'Parisian Skies' from Terra
Nova this year. Growing well and flowering beautifully right there in
it's quart pot for only $3.99. Snatched that baby right up. But I might
not have noticed it if I hadn't first seen it in the catalogues.

Plant tags have limited info on them for a reason. First, small tags
cost less. But recently I've been seeing HUGE tags in a lot of pots, but
not much more info. More info can sometimes scare off potential buyers.
The big tags use the extra space to show what the bloom looks like to
help sell the plant when not in flower. Marketing people know that all
you really need to know to decide to buy is that you like what it looks
like. If you like the appearance of what you buy but later find out it
doesn't suit you, you will buy another plant, or as the analogy goes, go
for a divorce and try again. Looks are everything these days.