Re: Re: New USDA Zone Map

> It is a pity that the new map is based on less data and has removed
> the a/b designations.  Wonder just what the rationale is behind this?
>  Or is there any?

Marge,

To quote from the AHS website:
"The "a" and "b" intra-zone divisions used on the 1990 map have been
dropped, so each zone is broader and easier to follow as your eye moves
westward and the mountains make climatic gradients more complex. West of the
Rocky Mountains, more discrete, rounded divisions have replaced the crazy
tangle of zones that marked the 1990 map. "

Now how that benefits any of the rest of us, I don't know.
Personally, I think it's just somebody wanting to get his name in print
again.

Daryl