Re: zone map

i agree, also. the sunset zones are terrific--in the west. they are less so in the east. in fact, in my part of the east they are re-numbered usda zones.

when sunset--lane publishing, palo alto, california--started it was a california-only magazine; it asked readers to keep track of their weather and to report it to them. years later, when they slowly expanded their market, they did the same in other areas--but the information was often less useful because it was accumulated over a shorter time period. the zones for idaho, utah, and nevada, for example, are not nearly as reliable as the zones for los angeles or sacramento.

then lane publishing was bought out and sunset changed from a gardening magazine into an investment engine, and that engine bought southern living--geographically, another quarter of the country and a quarter with no history of paying attention to microclimates. so sunset adopted the next best thing for its east coast zones.

raise your hand if you think it was usda hardiness zones with different designations.

the lane family, which was meticulous and compulsive about the information it provided, is probably petitioning the courts for a name change.