Been a busy weekend. Cleaning up the back patio and moving a few plants around. We're getting ready to rip out a very large hibiscus that unidentified previous plantation overlord planted too close to the house. Taking it out will leave a large hole that needs to be filled to block afternoon sun from the family room--and that's why we haven't done it yet. Can't figure out what to put in the hole.

Also picked up a few more plants to grow on for our next garage sale, including three large ponytail palms [5" diameter base] and a couple of barrel cactus [6" diameter], all for less than $5.00 each. And we re-potted a few of our Madagascar palms [we've got more than a dozen in containers]. Some of these are now beginning to branch, which means their value will easily triple.

Exciting news, however, is that our ric-rac cactus [Cryptocereus anthonyanus] has a flower bud. Reportedly, flowers on this particular epi are rare. As soon as it blooms, and we photograph the flower for labels, we'll root a dozen or so cuttings.

Island Jim Southwest Florida Zone 10 27.0 N, 82.4 W