Re: Acanthus was: clay pots/Dillon Seed Co

Not Kitty, but re: Acanthus invasiveness....in some climates that may
be true, but in mine I find the clump simply expands with time.  The
major thing about Acanthus is that any root left in the soil will
sprout, so if you try to move it, you will always have a bit where
you dug it up.  Maybe that's some people's idea of invasive.

I'd hazard a guess that yours is getting a tad too much competition
from mature ivy roots.  You may want to remove some of the ivy from a
circle a foot or two in diameter around the Acanthus to give it some
breathing room to get established....

I don't know which species you have, but I grow A. mollis and A.
hungaricus.  Interesting difference between them (aside from the leaf
shape) is that A. hungaricus goes dormant with frost and stays that
way until spring while A. mollis keeps trying to grow all winter.  If
we have an extended mild spell, it will put up foliage that blackens
when frost returns.  Keeps trying this until spring arrives and it
finally succeeds tho' a late frost will blacken that foliage as well.
 I've had both for probably 15 years.  A. hungaricus blooms
faithfully each year and A. mollis has yet to produce one flower; but
it's in a lot of shade, which may be the reason.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :