Re: todays experience

I think Lynda's got it right. Tried and true is safe and predictable. In addition, plants are perishable and there's the minimum quantity thing that make's it iffy to buy on speculation.

This tendency on the part of the marketplace to standardize is what makes underground markets--plant society sales, farmers' markets, garage sales--interesting.

On Friday, May 7, 2004, at 09:19 AM, Lynda Young wrote:

The owners I've spoken to in this area says it's better business to
stick with the well-known, comfortable plants that everyone recognizes.
Not enough space or money to invest a lot in plants that most people are
not familiar with.

But, isn't that part of the fun of gardening? Stretching the limits and
trying something new in the hope of finding a great addition to your
plantings. Unfortunately, it seems you can only do that through
mail-order in most cases. Certainly not everything you get will thrive,
but when an experiment works it is a real thrill.

Zone 7 - West Tn

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Donna
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 9:31 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: [CHAT] todays experience

Yeah I am kinda worried about that.... There are so many more choices
via mail order, but I always wondered about that.. like if they are
really hardy and grow able here, why isn't any of the nurseries carrying
them? I understand the big box stores only do the main plants, but what
about the specialty ones?

Anyone care to explain it to me?

Uh-oh, Donna. Careful - you might get hooked with this mail order thing! And, believe me, I know whereof I speak ;o)

Zone 7 - West TN

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
Zone 10