From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Saturday, May 08, 2004 3:42 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] todays experience

Heard a report on NPR sometime last week, Donna, that the Chicago
botanical garden [something like that] had developed a pumpkin orange
cone flower. Wondered if you'd heard about it or seen it. The were
selling them at the garden, and when the sale was over and all the
plants were gone, the guy who developed it realized he had not set one
aside for himself.

On Saturday, May 8, 2004, at 03:21 PM, Donna wrote:

> Personally think you have to do the tried and true plants to learn what
> gardening is about.... then you need exposure to other plants before
> you
> want them. If it wasn't for this group, I would not know about many
> plants, got a whole list of plants to find saved on this puter.... So
> far the list isn't getting any shorter, mostly cause I never did find
> them for sale.
>
> Last yr we discussed Oriental limelight. Since I already purchased the
> plant then got scared by the discussion, decided to use it in a display
> pot rather than plant it.
>
> This planter takes the brunt of winter. Way above ground, against a
> garage wall, on an asphalt driveway, no winter protection of mulch or
> anything. It came back :)
>
> Donna
>
>> Melody - I really didn't intend to come across as a plant snob, though
>> suppose I may be to some extent.  I have Purple Coneflowers and and
> Tawny
>> Daylilies because I love their simple charm.  But I kicked the Shasta
>> Daisies out long ago because they're a royal pain.
>>
>> I understand K-Marts carrying such items, actually I'm happy they
> don't
>> carry anything rare, as it would be a shame to see them gasping their
> last
>> breaths when no one waters them.  But it would be nice for "bonafide"
>> nurseries to offer something unusual.
>>
>> There is a huge world of plants to be expereinced and I hope to God
> we'll
>> never be reduced to some "white list".  Personally, I don't care if
> there
>> are times when nothing is blooming.  The week or two of that
> Glaucidium
>> will
>> be enough to carry me through.  I'm a collector, not a designer, so
> I'll
>> keep hoping to find something interesting, breathtaking.
>>
>> I don't argue the need for tried and true, but to tell the truth,
> there is
>> more to try.
>>
>> Kitty

> http://www.hort.net/funds/