Re: Oriental Limelight

> From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
> like that.  The new MGs in charge of that area say they intend to
remove it
> this year.

Well, good luck to them is all I can say.  I got it with a fair
amount of trepidation as I have been fighting the plain green form
(mugwort) for years; a most pernicious weed.   This is just a
variegated form of that.

I figured the variegation might slow it down a bit and put it in a
spot that's about 2" of rotted woodchips over at least a foot of
driveway gravel that got plowed into a bed, mixed with clay.  Figured
that ought to calm it down a bit, too.  After 3 years (I think) mine
is spreading a bit, but not a lot.  I watch it like a hawk.  I did
notice the other day that it threw some plain green stems - those
were pulled immediately.

I did manage to kill a piece of it when I moved it under a purple
barberry  - thinking that would be a nice contrast.  Well, it ended
up being too shady for the wee thing and it expired, so there may be
hope of getting rid of it if one needs to.  I have yet to totally
conquer the weedy form that still pops up here and there in the
garden off our deck...and I sifted that soil and dug at least 18"
deep...sigh.  Before I made that garden, the top of that hill was
absolutely covered in it and bindweed.

This child travels via underground white roots, any teensy, tiny bit
of which will sprout.  So, if your MGs really want to remove it,
they're gonna have to dig deep and sift out the soil.....

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :