Pella Tulip Festival

Thought I would share some photos from the very lovely Pella, Iowa 69th
Annual Tulip Festival. This town of 10,000 citizens plants in excess of
200,000 bulbs each year, not counting those planted by private citizens
and businesses, which brings the total to about double that. The tulips
are dug up every year and new ones are planted in the fall. WOW! What a
lot of work...but so beautiful, I can't hardly tell you! The large
windmill in the pictures is the tallest windmill in the US and is a
genuine, working mill that grinds corn and sells the flour. They give
tours of the entire windmill and the sight from 5 stories up on the
outside deck with the blades turning was something! We bought some of
the windmill bread made from this flour. The windmill was designed and
it's building supervised by a Dutch windmill architect and the upper
working half was built in Holland and then disassembled and brought back
to Pella for an 18 month rebuilding. The calliope in the pics. was built
in Belgium in the 1850's and still works and sounds great! Got to see
how they make wooden shoes...almost bought a pair! Pella is also home to
Wyatt Earps' boyhood home and we toured that as well. The many tulip
gardens are really something to see...wish you all could have been
there. Spent the entire day there and still feel like we didn't see
everything. Guess we'll have to go back next year!! :-)

http://photos.yahoo.com/mhobertm

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com