Re: mulch

> From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
> Question - poll, maybe.
> What kind of mulch do you use?
----------

Fine chip pine bark is my preferred bagged mulch.  Also use rotted
woodchips and chopped leaves.

I have yet to understand why people put down plastic or landscape
fabric under mulch...just makes a real mess years down the road.
Plastic doesn't allow water to go through unless it's pierced, which,
of course, would allow any perennial weed already there to grow
through it and it would.  Landscape fabric doesn't stop roots at all
- as you noted, Kitty, trees just grow right through it as do
perennials and that's one melluvahess to deal with when you want to
move something.  I guess it's marketing....use this and have no weeds
or something.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade