RE: mulch

Now Kitty.... are you sure you are related to Megan...LOL!

Actually I think you get into gardening once you grow up and have to
deal with life and a house.... or maybe just to broke to go out and
party every night like you used too...

Hopefully you told her that when she was ready to try something to call
you. Gosh wish I had someone to direct me at first and not actually try
to grow something in that clay at my first house, many moons ago....

There are many shade trees for zone 5... depends on how fast she needs
shade, how much room, the moisture conditions there,... tough question.