From:  [mailto: gardenqueen@academicplanet.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 06:22:37 -0500
Subject: Re: RE: [CHAT] Pella Tulip Festival

I'm w/ you Melody - so much to learn, so little time!<br><br>Pam
Melody<br>Sent: 5/11/2004 12:03:13 AM<br>To:
Bonnie: The shoemaker who hand makes all his wooden shoes (as his<br>>
grandfather did in Holland) was so very kind enough to answer my
many<br>> questions about how these lovely shoes are made and how well
they wear.<br>> He said a well fitted pair of wooden shoes (no more than
one finger<br>> width between heel and back of shoe) combined with a
proper pair of<br>> woolen socks makes for very comfortable shoes that
can be worn for<br>> years. I'm afraid I rather pestered the poor guy
with all my questions<br>> but that kind of stuff absolutely fascinates
me! There are so many<br>> things to learn about in this world...I don't
think I can have enough<br>> time to learn as much about things as I
most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." <br>>
--Albert Einstein<br>> <br>> --- On Mon 05/10, Bonnie & Bill Morgan <
wmorgan972@ameritech.net > wrote:<br>> From: Bonnie & Bill Morgan
[mailto: wmorgan972@ameritech.net]<br>> To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 23:02:47 -0400<br>> Subject: RE: [CHAT] Pella
Tulip Festival<br>> <br>> Melody, I'm so glad you shared your trip with
us! How wonderful! And<br>> I've<br>heard wooden shoes made for one's
own feet are comfortable<br>> indeed.
owner-gardenchat@hort.net<br>> [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
gardenchat@hort.net<br>Subject:<br>> [CHAT] Pella Tulip
lovely Pella, Iowa 69th<br>Annual Tulip Festival. This<br>> town of
10,000 citizens plants in excess of<br>200,000 bulbs eac

h year,<br>> not counting those planted by private citizens<br>and
businesses, which<br>> brings the total to about double that. The
tulips<br>are dug up every<br>> year and new ones are planted in the
fall. WOW! What a<br>lot of<br>> work...but so beautiful, I can't hardly
tell you! The large<br>windmill<br>> in the pictures is the tallest
windmill in the US and is a<br>genuine,<br>> working mill that grinds
corn and sells the flour. They give<br>tours of<br>> the entire windmill
and the sight from 5 stories up on the<br>outside<br>> deck with the
blades turning was something! We bought some of<br>the<br>> windmill
bread made from this flour. The windmill was designed<br>> and<br>it's
building supervised by a Dutch windmill architect and the<br>>
upper<br>working half was built in Holland and then disassembled
and<br>> brought back<br>to Pella for an 18 month rebuilding. The
calliope in the<br>> pics. was built<br>in Belgium in the 1850's and
still works and sounds<br>> great! Got to see<br>how they make wooden
shoes...almost bought a pair!<br>> Pella is also home to<br>Wyatt Earps'
boyhood home and we toured that as<br>> well. The many tulip<br>gardens
are really something to see...wish you<br>> all could have
been<br>there. Spent the entire day there and still feel<br>> like we
didn't see<br>everything. Guess we'll have to go back next<br>> year!!
Excite! - http://www.excite.com<br>The most personalized portal on
the<br>>
hort.net -- join the hort.net fund<br>> drive!<br>

hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!<br><

br
http://www.excite.com<br>> The most personalized portal on the Web!<br>>

    http://www.hort.net/funds/<br><br>

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com